Monday, February 26, 2007

A Total Snoozer....zzzzzzz...

As anticipated, I had company yesterday which prevented me from watching most of the red carpet pre-Oscar glam. I do, however, have it all on tape and will be watching it when I find some time. But if the actual show is any indication of the level of excitement on the red carpet, I can see I'll be over-working the fast forward button on it.

Company left about the time the actual show started. Looking back, if only they'd reversed order and come for dinner at midnight, it may have spared me the pain of sitting through that awful production. What an absolute snoozer that thing was! Far worse than usual, and I didn't think that was possible.

The only bright spot (for me) was first out -- gorgeous Daniel Craig (along with Nicole Kidman) presented the first award, Art Direction. Looking dashing as usual in his tux, Daniel oozed charm all over the stage. Unfortunately, that was the charm quota for the evening, and it was all downhill from there. (By the way, I'll have to go back and find Daniel arriving on the red carpet so I can adequately criticize his tranny girlfriend, over and over and over again. :) )

After Mr. Craig, it was all over. Snooze city. Literally. I looked over 30 minutes into it, and my husband was asleep on the sofa. Now and then he opened his eyes to see if he was missing anything. He surely was not. If only he'd had more eyes to close, I would have recommended it.

I was surprised that Ellen was so dull. She is generally one of my favorites, and last night she disappointed. I will say, however, I'm not sure it was her fault. It seems like the material she had to work with was somehow confined. Glad they stayed away from the political bashing, but the content could have been edgier and more contemporary. I don't know what it is about the Oscars, but if someone has a God-given comedic talent, it will surely rob them of it. FOR 4 HOURS STRAIGHT. AARGH!!

And I can't even count the endlessly punishing montages that were shown, seemingly with no point at all. Last night was like a blur, only in painfully slow motion. By the end of the night, I lost my will to live.

What a stinker.

No comments: