Tuesday, August 21, 2007

All Play, No Work


People who don't do their jobs. I am inundated with them lately, and it's making me crazy.

Recently, I've hired a couple of people to provide some services that I might be able to do myself, except I don't really have the time to dedicate, and they claim to have certain expertise in their respective fields, so I figured spending the money to hire them would save time and add value - worth it in the long run. So I hired them.

So far, I've been nothing but disappointed. Their marketing pitches were great. Since then, they've basically done nothing for me, and it's driving me nuts.

Last weekend, I decided to jump in and try to bring some aggressiveness to the process, (at which I was fairly successful) but I know at the end of the day, even though I'm the one who did the work, they will be standing there with their hands out, waiting to be paid.

I just don't understand what's happened to the world. There used to be a time where people took pride in their work. They wanted to do a good job for their customers and were energized about their efforts. Now, it seems like people just want to put out as little energy as possible to do a half-ass job on something and then expect to be paid in full and move on. Work ethic has gone the way of the dinosaurs, and I wonder what it will take to bring it back.

No comments: