Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Eastern Promises Delivers

Haven't seen a good flick in a while. Heck, I haven't seen anything in a while, so it was a treat the other night to break from the action and escape to the movies.

Walked down the street to the local art theatre (yeah...I've been waiting to do that....Urban life rocks!) to see the late showing of 'Eastern Promises'....an indie flick centered around the Russian mafia in London. Viggo Mortenson and Naomi Watts are perfectly cast and give great performances.

I don't know what it is about mafia flicks. I love them. I find them fascinating. Must be the whole power thing, watching it in action. In this one, I found myself covering my eyes with both hands no less than five times. The violence was gruesome, and I didn't want it registered on my hard drive forever. So I heard it, I didn't see it, and that was enough to get the point across.

I must say that Viggo delivers one of the most unforgettable and realistic fight scenes I've ever seen on film. Like watching a car wreck, it was simply awful, but you almost couldn't turn away from it. Not to mention that he's totally nude throughout the entire fight, and that makes it worth a good look-see. *winks* Definitely worth the price of a ticket.

I give this one 4 out of 5 popcorn kernels. *****

No comments: