Friday, June 13, 2008

4.5 Mondays

Possible? Yes. Sort of felt like it anyway.

I've been in a conference all week, morning 'til night with a dozen colleagues and 3 guys from the UK giving Powerpoint presentations. Started bright and early Monday morning, finished noon-ish on Friday. 4.5 days of being cooped up with the same faces. A really long week.

Actually, I must admit that it could have been worse. The subject matter was fairly interesting and the format of the conference not half bad. They also fed us well, which will lead to a big workout week next week. And one interesting demographic dynamic -- I was the lone female in the class. 14 attendees, 13 of them male. The nice thing is that I trumped most of them in title, often not the case in a career woman's world.

One other item of interest -- having nothing to do with the content of the class, yet still interesting to me -- I don't know what it was, but one of the presenters had something going on in his demeanor that called to mind David Beckham for me. He didn't look much like him, but there was an essence of something there that I couldn't put my finger on -- he said he lived north of London, so perhaps they've something in common there? Thankfully, he did not have the annoying Becks voice. (The Beckham thing is lost on me the second he opens his mouth and that tiny, whiny cartoon voice emerges.) In contrast, this guy had a deep, commanding voice and British accent that made you want to listen to him. Words elegantly rolled off his tongue in a deep vibrato, easy on the ears (if not the eyes). He sounded a bit Daniel-Craigish in that regard, and you all know what that does for me (*sigh*). So that put an interesting twist to whatever he happened to be presenting...even if I (the lone female) was the only one who appreciated it.

Sometimes, it's the little things that get you through 4.5 Mondays in a row.

No comments: